The Laboratory for Physical Metallurgy (or Metlab for short) is a Shared Experimental Facility at MIT within the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Please contact the lab manager, Dr. Shaymus Hudson (firstname.lastname@example.org), for any questions regarding training, lab access, maintenance, supplies, equipment reservations and scheduling, etc.
The Metlab is open to trained MIT users every day between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm.
COVID-19 Lab Adjustments: Following MIT's guidance, the Metlab requires that all users wear appropriate facemasks in the lab.
The current equipment log form is here.
Parts of the Metlab and Rates:
4-421: Polishing Room
- Buehler Isomet 4000 Linear Precision Saw: $20/hr
- Struers Rotopol, Rotopol-with-Pedemat, and Tegrapol: $20/hr
- Buehler AutoMet 250 Polisher: $20/hr
- Struers Prontopress-2: $20/hr
- Buehler Simplimet 4000 Mounting Machine: $20/hr
- Cold Mounting Station: $20/hr
- Microscopes: $20/hr
- Metallographic Etching: $20/hr
13-5016: Furnace Room
- Box and tube furnaces: $15/hr to a flat fee of $500 per calendar month
- Hydrogen (CM) furnace: $40/hr to a flat fee of $500 per calendar month
- O2-H2 torch/Quartz Ampoule Encapsulation Bench: $45/hr
- Rotary ball mill: $15/hr to a maximum of $60 per use
8-241: Mechanical Testing Room
- Instron machines: $30/hr
8-102: Laboratory for Advanced Materials
- LECO Hardness tester: $35/hr
There is a 50% additional charge for assisted use and for training. Use of equipment for personal or non-MIT activities may be performed at the discretion of the lab manager. All rates are subject to change every fiscal year.
If you use the facilities without logging your time, we reserve the right to ban you from the lab, or bill your account extra. If you leave the lab especially messy, we reserve the right to bill your account for our time spent cleaning it up. Please endeavor to leave the lab cleaner than you found it.